The problem: Groundwater resources in coastal East Africa are at risk from growing populations and from climate change. Groundwater resources need to be understood and monitored, and sustainable management approaches designed.
The approach: Hydrogeological desk studies and field studies at three case study locations. Monitoring of groundwater level and quality, and rainfall. Assessments of demand for and use of groundwater.
Key findings: Limited renewable fresh groundwater resources are under pressure from growing demands and from degradation as a result of human activity. Communities, and women especially, are willing to engage in better water management, if given the information and tools to do so.
Where? Kenya, Tanzania, Comoros
Consortium grant? No.
Principal Investigator: Professor Joy Obando, Kenyatta University
- Mary Makokha, Kenyatta University
- Jean-Christophe Comte, Queen’s University Belfast
- Rachel Cassidy, Queen’s University Belfast
- Nicholas Robins, Queen’s University Belfast
- Isaac Marobhe, University of Dar es Salaam
- Simon Melchioly, University of Dar es Salaam
- Halimu Shauri, Pwani University
- Ibrahimu Mjemah, Sokoine University of Agriculture
- Kassim Ibrahim, Université des Comores
- Ibrahim Mohamed, Université des Comores
- Hamidou Soule, Université des Comores
- Olivier Banton, University of Reunion Island/University of Avignon
- Jean-Lambert Join, University of Reunion Island/University of Avignon
- Kenyatta University (KU) – Grant NE/L001829/1
- Queen’s University Belfast (QUB) – Grant NE/L001888/1
- Pwani University (PU),
- Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA),
- University of Dar es Salaam (UDS),
- Université des Comores (UC),
- University of Reunion Island (URI)
- University of Avignon (UA)
Find out more:
- ‘Challenges in groundwater resource management in coastal aquifers of East Africa: Investigations and lessons learnt in the Comoros Islands, Kenya and Tanzania’. Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies. DOI: 10.1016/J.EJRH.2015.12.065
- Physical and societal challenges in groundwater security in coastal East Africa: case studies in the Comoros Islands, Kenya and Tanzania (2015) Poster & Abstract at the 9th WIOMSA Scientific Symposium, South Africa, 26-31 October 2015
- Presentation by by Prof. Joy Obando on RWSN-UPGro webinar Groundwater Resources and Supplies in Africa, 24th February 2015
- Cassidy R., J. Obando, J.-C. Comte, M. Makokha, H. Shauri, S. Melchioly, I.C. Mjemah, I.A. Kassim, I. Mohamed, H. Soule, N. Robins, J.-L. Join, O.Banton, I. Marobhe (2014) “Towards Groundwater Security in Coastal East Africa – An Interdisciplinary Study In Comoros, Kenya And Tanzania.” at 41st IAH Congress, Marrakech (Abstract)
- PDF summary